Find a Way to be Unproductive
Click here for the resources from our interview with Garris
“I’ve found that there are not many margin spaces in the life of a leader where you’re not required to be productive. And so, you’ve gotta have a place where you’re not productive so that you can end up releasing what God gives you in the future.”-Garris Elkins
Pastor and author, Garris Elkins has a heart for the next generation. Garris, like many new pastors, had struggles and difficulties he wanted to quickly overcome. It was through these experiences that he realized how to discover the goodness in places that may seem “hopeless” and that God wants us to embrace those failures as we move forward with hope.
Join us as we talk with Garris about his journey to becoming a writer and his desire to encourage leaders. In his book, The Leadership Rock, Garris has collected the good, the bad and the ugly of leadership. His goal is to share stories to let people know that leadership is not always the mountaintop it appears, but that the true lessons are often learned in the valleys.
What you will learn:
- How to see struggles as a place to find hope
- Why it’s important to love just that one person, even “Gladys the drunk”
- Not everything is supposed to look successful to be successful.
- How to be content with God, even when results don’t follow.
- Why focusing on the numbers game can often lead to depression.
- The importance of studying the history of the clientele you are working with.
- How to create margin and learn the importance of being unproductive.
“God never leads us forward by judgement. He always calls us forward through hope.” -Garris Elkins
www.garriselkins.com for more information, YouTube videos, and Garris’ blog
The Leadership Rock by Garris Elkins
The Garris Elkins YouTube Channel
Garris Elkins has been called by God to raise up a prophetic generation who will speak to the cultures of our world with the empowered voice of Heaven. Garris’ ministry seeks to align people with their God-defined destiny through teaching, writing and prophetic ministry. Garris and his wife, Jan, live in Southern Oregon. They enjoy walking in the hills that surround their home and lingering over a good espresso.